Deep philosophical questions have no right or wrong answers, but they help give you a better and deeper understanding of yourself.
These questions are thought-provoking questions that help engage the other person in the conversation by giving an insight into their perceptions and thinking.
Before we dive in, let us know a little background about philosophy.
What is Philosophy?
The term philosophy was coined by Pythagoras and translates to “love of wisdom”. Philosophy is the study of the basic matter of human existence and activities undertaken to know the truth about themselves and a sense of understanding.
Philosophy is divided into areas like metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, logic, aesthetics, and many more. Philosophers focus on finding answers to various existential questions.
Philosophical questions have no specific answers to them. Instead, they raise numerous unanswered questions.
Deep philosophical questions are not asked to get an answer but are asked to understand and gain knowledge about human existence, the life we are living, and the world we are living in.
Here’s a list of some deep philosophical questions that make you think about life:
Deep Philosophical Questions about Beauty
- What is beauty?
- Is beauty internal or external?
- Can you measure beauty?
- Do you think spiritual beauty is as important as physical beauty?
- How would you define a beautiful object?
- Is being beautiful a blessing or a curse?
- Is being beautiful and attractive the same thing?
- What are the pros and cons of being physically beautiful?
- Why do humans crave beauty?
- Is being beautiful the only thing that really matters?
- Is beauty subjective or objective?
- Does our perception of beauty define us?
- What is the connection between beauty and personality?
- Is beauty inherited or acquired over time?
- Do we have higher experience from beautiful people?
- Can beauty influence our mood?
- Is beauty only related to the face and body?
Love-related Deep Philosophical Questions
- What is love?
- Is it easy to love or to be loved?
- Is love and attraction the same thing?
- What is more important for you, love or respect?
- Does true love exist?
- What is the difference between being in love with someone and loving someone?
- Is it better to have loved and lost or never have loved at all?
- How do you know you love a person enough to marry them?
- How is love different from passion?
- What laws can you break for a person you love?
- Is self-love more important than loving someone else?
- Can you love someone who is not beautiful but is perfect for you?
Deep Philosophical Questions about Happiness
- What do you mean by happiness?
- Can someone be happy without experiencing sadness?
- What do you mean by a happy life?
- Can money make people happy?
- How can we attain an absolute happy state of mind?
- How can money buy happiness?
- Is mental happiness important?
- Do colors really make us happy?
- What is real happiness?
Science, Technology, and Time Deep Philosophical Questions
- How would a world without technology look like?
- Can we make any progress without depending on technology?
- What is time?
- What is beyond the universe?
- Does a parallel universe exist?
- What are the pros and cons of technology advancement?
- Is artificial intelligence possible without current technology?
- Are we a tiny part of the intelligent life in the universe?
- Do astronauts age slower in space? Why or why not?
- Is time travel possible?
- Is technology controlling us?
- Who created time?
Metaphysical Philosophical Questions
- How was the universe created?
- Is time real or just an illusion?
- Do magic spells work?
- What is the connection between mathematics and logic?
- Is our fate and destiny already written?
- Why do we dream?
- Do dreams signify something?
- Is the concept of soulmates true?
- Are soulmates real or imaginary?
- How would you know if you have met your soulmate?
- What is consciousness?
- Do black holes exist?
- What is the purpose of the cosmos?
- Why do our actions affect our karma if everything in our destiny is predetermined?
- How does time begin and end?
- Is the “law of attraction” true?
- Does fate exist?
- How was the universe created?
- Is truth relative to our subconscious bias?
- Is the universe finite or infinite? If it is finite, what could be beyond the boundaries?
- Does black magic really work?
- How can you prove that other people also have consciousness?
- What is the beginning and the end of time?
- How does gravity work?
- Does everything happen for a reason?
- If our destiny is predetermined, why do our actions affect our karma?
- Is karma real?
- How can we differentiate between good or bad scientific theories?
- Can you make your own destiny, or is everything predetermined?
- What existed before the universe?
- How would humans react to extraterrestrial life?
- Is mind over matter possible?
Deep Questions that Make You Think
- What is the purpose of life?
- What is the purpose of your existence?
- What do you mean by freedom?
- Is there a difference between truth and reality?
- How would you want to be remembered after you die?
- Is suffering a part of life?
- Do we have a soul? If yes, where does it live?
- When and how did life begin?
- Do we have free will?
- Is rationality normative?
- Should you judge people based on their decisions or the intentions behind decisions?
- Is there life after death?
- What is fear?
- Can people really change?
- What is obsession?
- Is obsession a good thing?
- Is being an atheist wrong?
- Do you fear failure without even trying?
- If nobody is perfect, why do we strive for it?
- How are good and evil defined?
- Are humans creating the same amount of things as they are destroying?
- How would animals know if you love them?
- Why are we told to respect the dead?
- What are numbers?
- Do you live for the present or for the future?
- Who decides what is wrong and what is right?
- Can you be fearless without experiencing fear?
- Are you being true to your values?
- What was the origin of religion?
- If you have to give one piece of advice to anyone, what would it be?
- Why do different people have different opinions?
- What if everyone’s thought process was the same?
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Do you believe in God? Why or why not?
- How can you explain the existence of God to atheists?
- Who are you, really?
- Are you afraid of the process or the results?
- What ways can you adapt to know the absolute truth?
- What things are truly objective or subjective?
- What qualities does a genius possess?
- Can language affect our thinking?
- Can you limit your creativity?
- Is there any selfless act of kindness?
- What is the difference between being alive and living?
- Do challenges make you stronger or weaker?
- Are people born evil, or they develop this trait over time?
- What are universal human rights?
- Can society ever be fair and just?
- Do the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few?
- Who am I?
- Is the meaning of life the same for everyone?
- Where does self-worth come from?
- Can we contribute back to society? How?
- What is the best moral system?
- Why do raindrops become snowfall?
- Can observation affect reality?
- Is observation quantitative or qualitative?
- Does living for others make your life have meaning?
- If God is good, why do people take the evil path?
- Are emotions irrational?
- Is the brain the same as the mind?
- Is happiness the only goal in life?
- Can torture ever be justified or acceptable?
- How much freedom should people have?
- Why are we told to respect the dead?
- Do animals have universal rights?
- If possible, should we change human nature?
- Can racism come to an end?
- Are perceptions real?
- Is morality relative?
- Can enlightenment be achieved?
Fun Philosophical Questions
- If no one sees or knows, would you do something wrong?
- How can you differentiate between art and something that isn’t?
- Why does everything happen for a reason?
- Can you make your own decisions without being controlled by any influence?
- What things would you want to do today if you were to die tomorrow?
- How are people from this generation different from people from past generations?
- Is it good to procrastinate?
- What is more important, respect or attention?
- For how long will the dead be remembered?
- Is it easy to forgive someone?
- Does true friendship exist? If yes, is it ever reciprocated?
- Can strict laws lead to more crimes?
- What will the end of the world look like?
- Would you live for a cause or die for it?
- Do you fear losing something you don’t even have?
- Do falling objects make noise if nobody’s there to hear it?
- Would you kill hundred people to save one or one to save hundred?
- If given a choice, would you choose to be immortal?
- Are animals freer than humans?
- What could be the most likely cause of your death?
- What is the concept of the afterlife?
- How would a society without rules and laws look like?
- Is art important? Why or why not?
- Can people change, or they act differently in different circumstances?
- If nobody witnessed an event, did it really happen?
- What is the meaning of life?
- Why is there something rather than nothing?
- Is it possible to live a life without telling a lie?
- Does a person’s name influence the person they become?
- Can humans as a species go extinct?
- Is evidence important for knowing the truth?
- Why do we hold onto our beliefs so firmly that they cannot even be proven?
- Would you want to know the reason for your death?
- Is perception subjective or objective?
- What is more useful, intelligence or wisdom?
- What color is a mirror?
- What are the properties of consciousness?
- Do pets also name humans?
- What is the connection between the mind and the body?
- What is more important, logic or consciousness?
- Do we have control over our lives?
- Should people have the choice to live in whichever country they want?
- Is it okay to break laws?
- In a movie theatre, which armrest is yours?
Benefits of Deep Thinking
- Enables us to widen our horizons and can change the way we think and feel.
- A great exercise and challenge for your mind. Deep thinking can help you think beyond preconceived notions and ideas.
- Teaches us how to think as we do not think beyond what we see.
- Enables us to think outside of our comfort zone and prevailing ideas as it can change our lives.
Over to you…
Albert Einstein once said, “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking”. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” Thinking deeply can make our lives exciting and bright.
Learning how to think deeply and differently enhances our critical and creative thinking making us realize that there is no specific way to think.
Our thoughts can shape our lives. The thinking process has the power to shape and mold our lives for better or for worse.
Deep philosophical questions can awaken your thought process with no perfect answers. Everyone interprets these questions and comments on them in their own way. What you think of an answer to these questions might not be the same as someone else.
This list can be a great challenge and exercise for your mind. You can even think and question beyond this list. This is just to help you get started.