Do you dread nightmares and constantly search for essential oils for nightmares? This post will help you!
There is nothing more disturbing than having a frightening dream that wakes you up from a deep sleep. Usually, they make your heart pound from extreme fear. The most common cause of nightmares is Rapid Eye Movement (REM). You may find yourself experiencing nightmares most frequently around dawn because your periodic rest will become longer as the deadly night advances.
A nightmare differs from a night terror, however. Generally, night terrors occur within a few hours of falling asleep. They are feelings and not dreams—which is why people often don’t recall why they were frightened once they wake up.
How Do Essential Oils Help You With Nightmares?
The health benefits of essential oils are numerous. Aromatherapy often utilizes essential oils as an alternative form of medication.
Essential oil is a plant-derived compound that captures the essence and flavor of a plant. Research has shown that essential oils can calm your nervous system, which makes you feel more relaxed.
You can inhale or rub these oils on your skin, allowing them to provide therapeutic benefits, which are associated with brain function.
Using essential oils can help you achieve a better night’s sleep by controlling the physical and emotional changes that come with nightmares. You just need to choose the best essential oils for nightmares, and you’re ready to go.
Best Essential Oils For Nightmares
After learning about how essential oils help you with nightmares, let’s see what oils are great for reducing nightmares and night terrors.
Lavender Essential Oil
For nightmares, the lavender essential oil is an excellent choice. By calming and soothing your nerves, this essential oil will relieve stress and make you feel relaxed. You can put a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow or rub it behind your ears to experience its scent.
In a diffuser, you can use this oil along with other essential oils to experience uninterrupted sleep, and you will wake up feeling refreshed. Use it to soothe children who fear the dark or can’t sleep because of night terrors.
One of the best essential oils for nightmares is this one. Known for its mild scent, it makes you feel calm and relaxed. Put three to four drops of this oil on a cotton pad and keep it under your pillow or anywhere else.
You can also mix this oil with other carrier oils such as coconut oil or jojoba and use it with a diffuser for 30 minutes before going to sleep. With the pleasant aroma of these oils, you will sleep like a baby, which is a good use of essential oils for night terrors.
Chamomile tea is known primarily for its healing properties and is great for soothing indigestion and other digestive issues. Aside from this, it is also an excellent remedy for treating sleep disorders. Chamomile oil has been proven to be great for sleepwalking, which is why it has made it to our list of essential oils for nightmares.
Drip a few drops into a diffuser before bed so that you have a good night’s sleep. Moreover, it eliminates all of the day’s anxiety, making it an excellent essential oil for night terrors.
Roses have a delightful smell, which is why they are excellent for relieving nightmares. It can be used either individually or in combination with other essential oils such as helichrysum, patchouli, and sandalwood oil.
Rub 1-2 drops of this oil directly onto your feet or mix it with any of the above oils. Because your feet absorb oil the fastest, this oil enters your bloodstream and allows you to sleep better. You will not only feel calm, but your bedroom will also smell refreshing after using this essential oil for night terrors.
Humans can benefit greatly from this age-old plant. Among its many benefits is providing essential oils for nightmares. When used while sleeping, sandalwood oil has a sweet and mild scent that calms and soothes the nerves, resulting in fast sleep.
It will keep night terrors at bay when you diffuse a few drops of this oil before going to bed. Essential oils for night terrors can help you sleep soundly.
Vetiver oil is another essential oil for nightmares. This oil is earthy in scent and can be combined with lavender oil or chamomile oil to relieve nightmares and night terrors.
Put a few drops of this oil in a diffuser before you go to sleep, and you’ll have a peaceful sleep all night. The oil is also an essential oil for night terrors, control blood pressure, and relieve cramps. It can even treat hormonal imbalances.
One of the essential oils for nightmares is Bergamot Oil, which is made from citrus fruits. Citrus invigorates the senses and boosts your well-being and happiness.
When you use it before bed, it will calm your nerves and enable you to get a good night’s sleep. Among all essential oils for night terrors, this is one of the best.
Essential Oils Recipes You Can Try at Home
Things you need:
- ½ cup jojoba or coconut oil.
- Thirty drops of sandalwood oil.
- Ten drops of lavender oil.
- 2-3 drops of cedarwood oil.
- 2-3 drops of mandarin oil.
- Pour all these oils in a clean container, preferably a dark bottle.
- Mix all these oils well.
- Add 3-4 drops of this mixture to your bath water and relax.
- Do this every night before sleep to eliminate nightmares and night terrors.
Things you need:
- 3-4 drops of lavender oil.
- Two drops of chamomile oil.
- One drop of rose oil.
- Two drops of chamomile.
- A diffuser.
- Mix all these oils in a diffuser before sleep.
- Also, add a few drops to your palm and rub it onto both of your palms.
- Take three deep breaths and go to bed.
- You will feel all your stress is gone leaving you all relaxed.
Things you need:
- 5 drops of lavender oil.
- 10 drops of bergamot oil.
- One drop of chamomile oil.
- 5 drops of orange oil.
- One drop of geranium oil.
- Mix all these oils in a container or a diffuser.
- Inhale the aroma of them several times before going to sleep.
- It will boost your senses and will help you sleep better.
Things you need:
- Twenty drops of lavender oil.
- One drop of Vetiver oil.
- Five drops of sage oil.
- Fifteen drops of orange oil.
- One drop ylang ylang oil.
- ½ cup carrier oil of your choice.
- Mix all these oils in a dark container, preferably a bottle.
- Add a few drops of this mixture to your bath water before sleep.
- Store the mixture in a cool, dry place.
Things you need:
- 10 drops of lavender oil.
- 5 drops of chamomile oil.
- ½ cup of water.
- 5 drops marjoram oil.
- 10 drops of orange oil.
- Mix all of these oils.
- Add about 15 drops of this oil to your pillow before bed and enjoy the pleasant aroma of it.
Stress Away Mixture
Things you need:
- 10 drops Anise oil
- 5 drops Mugwort oil
- 5 drops Clove oil
- 10 drops Sage oil
- Combine all the oils in a diffuser or inhaler.
- Take a few deep breaths of this mixture before you go to sleep.
- This mixture will allow you to have a good night’s sleep.
What Causes Nightmares in Adults and Children?
Adults typically experience spontaneous nightmares. Many things can cause them, including some underlying disorders.
- Having a snack late at night can cause nightmares for some people. Snacking late at night speeds up metabolism, and your brain gets a signal to remain active.
- Several medicines can also contribute to nightmares in adults. Medications such as narcotics, blood pressure, and anti-depressants are commonly associated with nightmares.
- A lack of sleep might also lead to adult nightmares. Psychological factors, including anxiety and depression, can cause nightmares in adults. Traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can also lead to chronic, repeated nightmares.
- Those who have a relative with the disorder are at greater risk of experiencing nightmares themselves.
Most children experience nighttime fears at some point during their kindergarten years and preschool years. However, they can positively occur in older kids and adolescents likewise.
- As children’s imaginations develop and youngsters realize that things will hurt them, they have nightmares.
- Sometimes, nightmares and fears are the results of a traumatic experience. It can be anything from being scared of a large dog to being in a state of visualizing an automobile accident to seeing something on the news. Sometimes, however, they appear out of nowhere.
- Parental anxiety and family conflict play an important role, as well. When a baby is triggered to show many emotions, they become anxious, and their fears increase.
What Else Can You Do To Avoid Nightmares
We have covered how the essential oils and their recipes can prevent nightmares, and now we’ll share some more things that you can do to avoid them.
Rest and Sleep Better
This tip sounds crazy when all you want to do is sleep, but you can’t. In order to avoid nightmares, try sleeping on your side instead of on your back. When you sleep on your back, dreams are more likely to appear. Keeping your bedroom and bed clean and comfortable will allow you to sleep better.
Watch Your Diet And Timing
You should monitor what you eat and drink throughout the day. The last thing you want is to feed your nightmares by eating late at night. In the evening, avoid caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee, and soft drinks, since these will only worsen the problem. Avoid eating cheese at night as it has been found to exacerbate nightmares.
Don’t Watch Anything Scary Before Sleep
The brain can process all the evil and bloody scenes while you sleep if you watch or read anything scary before bed. Your nightmares will only become worse if you do this. To let your brain visualize good things, watch or read something calming or serene.
De-stress and unwind
Tiredness and exhaustion can lead to nightmares. It is therefore recommended that you avoid stress in your bedroom and relax before you go to sleep. Having a hot bath or a walk before bedtime can help you relax after a long day at work. Keep a routine and sleep at the same time every day. Your body will become accustomed to it and help you sleep well no matter how tired you are.
Keep Something That Smells Nice
In addition to essential oils, keep something that smells nice in your bedroom. Using flowers or a room freshener, or even a diffuser with subtle flavors can also calm your senses and improve your sleep. To reap its full benefits, place it next to your bedside table. A scented candle can even save the day.
Don’t Avoid Your Problems
If you suffer from nightmares, you should talk to a counselor, friend, or partner about the various memories or dreams. When you talk about your problem, you will feel lighter and more relaxed. Someone else’s view of your problem can also serve to help and support you if needed.
A dream is quite normal every once in a while, but recurrent dreams are something you must watch out for. Using essential oils for night terrors and following other tips can provide relief and, in the long run, prevent nightmares and night terrors.