Are you tired of recurring nightmares and looking for essential oils for nightmares and night terrors? Then this article is going to help you.
Nightmares are generally very realistic and disturbing dreams that can startle you and awake you from a deep sleep. They usually make your heart pound from extreme fear. Nightmares occur most frequently during sleep due to the Rapid Eye Movement (REM). As a result of this, periodic rest become longer as the deadly night advances and you will notice yourself experiencing nightmares most frequently during dawn.
However, nightmares are different from night terrors. Night terrors generally occur within a few hours of falling asleep. They are feelings and not dreams. It is why people often don’t recall why they were frightened once they wake up.
How Does Essential Oils Help You With Nightmares?
Essential Oils are known to have several health benefits. Aromatherapy often uses essential oils, which is an alternative form of medicine.
Essential Oils are plant-derived compounds which capture the plant’s essence and flavor. Researches show that the use of essential oils can calm your nervous system down, thereby making you feel more relaxed. These oils, when rubbed onto the skin or inhaled, helps you with medicinal benefits which are often associated with the functions of the brain. The essential oils stimulate your mind to be more relaxed and free. Essential oils, in the case of nightmares, can control the physical and emotional changes thereby helping you to de-stress and sleep better. Having mentioned that all you need to do is simply know and choose the right essential oils for nightmares.
Best Essential Oils For Nightmares
Now that we have seen how essential oils help you with nightmares, let us now see some of the best oils to get rid of nightmares and night terrors.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender is an excellent choice of essential oils for nightmares. This essential oil has the power to calm and soothe your nerves thereby making you feel de-stressed and relaxed. You can either put a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow or rub it behind your ears to experience the aroma of It. This oil can also be used with other essential oils in a diffuser in order to experience uninterrupted sleep and you will wake up all refreshed In the morning. This essential oil for night terrors can be used in the rooms of children who are afraid If the dark or can not sleep due to night terrors.
This is one of the best essential oils for nightmares. It is known to have a mild and soothing scent which makes you feel calm and relaxed. You can use this oil by putting 3-4 drops on a cotton pad and keeping it under your pillow or anywhere besides your bed. This oil can also be mixed with other Carrier Oils such as coconut oil or jojoba oil and can be used with a diffuser half an hour before you actually go to sleep. The pleasant aroma of these oils will help you to sleep like a baby and this is a good way to use these essential oils for night terrors.
You might all be familiar with chamomile tea, which is mainly known for its therapeutic powers and is great to soothe indigestion and other digestive problems. Apart from this, it is also an excellent remedy to deal with sleep disorders. Studies have shown that chamomile oil is even great for sleepwalking considering which It has made it to our list of essential oils for nightmares. Using 3-4 drops of Chamomile Oil In a diffuser before going to sleep can ensure you to have a good nights sleep. It also eliminates the entire day’s stress and anxiety thereby making it one of the best essential oils for night terrors.
Rose itself as a flower has a delightful smell, and therefore, it is one of the perfect essential oils for nightmares. It can either be used individually or can be combined with various other essential oils such as helichrysum, patchouli, and sandalwood oil. Take 1-2 drops of this oil individually or in a mixture of any of the above oils and rub it onto your feet. Feet is the most absorbent body part and it can absorb this oil quickly this entering your bloodstream and allowing to sleep better. This essential oils for night terrors not only calms your mind but also leaves your bedroom with a pleasant smell.
This age-old plant has tremendous benefits for human beings. And providing essential oils for nightmares is one of its many benefits. Sandalwood oil has a sweet and mild aroma which when used while sleeping calms and soothes your nerves thereby making you fall fast asleep. Just use a few drops of this oil in a diffuser before sleep and it will keep night terrors far away. These essential oils for night terrors enable you to sleep like a baby.
Another essential oil for nightmares is Vetiver Oil. It has an earthy scent and it can be used individually or with other essential oils such as lavender and chamomile oil in order to get rid of nightmares and night terror. Use a few drops of this oil in a diffuser before you sleep and you will have a peaceful sleep throughout the night. Apart from being an essential oil for night terrors this oil also regulates blood pressure, provide relief from craps, and even restore hormonal imbalances.
Bergamot Oil is one of those essential oils for nightmares, which is made from citrus fruits. It has a citrus scent, and it will instantly lift your mood, thereby boosting your wellbeing and happiness. Use it before bed, and it will soothe your nerves and calm you down, thus enabling you to have a good night rest. It is genuinely great among all the essential oils for night terrors.
Essential Oils Recipes You Can Try At Home
Things you need:
- ½ cup jojoba or coconut oil.
- Thirty drops of sandalwood oil.
- Ten drops of lavender oil.
- 2-3 drops of cedarwood oil.
- 2-3 drops of mandarin oil.
- Pour all these oils in a clean container, preferably a dark bottle.
- Mix all these oils well.
- Add 3-4 drops of this mixture in your bath water and relax.
- Do this every night before sleep to eliminate nightmares and night terrors.
Things you need:
- 3-4 drops of lavender oil.
- Two drops of chamomile oil.
- One drop of rose oil.
- Two drops of chamomile.
- A diffuser.
- Mix all these oils in a diffuser before sleep.
- Also, add a few drops on your palm and rub it onto both of your palms.
- Take three deep breath and go to bed.
- You will feel all your stress is gone leaving you all relaxed.
Things you need:
- 5 drops lavender oil.
- 10 drops bergamot oil.
- One drop chamomile oil.
- 5 drops orange oil.
- One drop geranium oil.
- Mix all these oils in a container or a diffuser.
- Inhale the aroma of them several times before going to sleep.
- It will boost your senses and will help you sleep better.
Things you need:
- Twenty drops of lavender oil.
- One drop Vetiver oil.
- Five drops sage oil.
- Fifteen drops orange oil.
- One drop ylang ylang oil.
- ½ cup carrier oil of your choice.
- Mix all these oils in a dark container, preferably a bottle.
- Add a few drops of this mixture to your bath water before sleep.
- Store the mixture in a cool, dry place.
Things you need:
- 10 drops lavender oil.
- 5 drops chamomile oil.
- ½ cup of water.
- 5 drops marjoram oil.
- 10 drops orange oil.
- Mix all of these oils.
- Add about 15 drops of this oil to your pillow before bed and enjoy the pleasant aroma of it.
Stress Away Mixture
Things you need:
- 10 drops Anise oil
- 5 drops Mugwort oil
- 5 drops Clove oil
- 10 drops Sage oil
- Combine all the oils in a diffuser or inhaler.
- Take a few deep breaths of this mixture before you go to sleep.
- This mixture will allow you to have a good night sleep.
What Causes Nightmares In Adults And Children
Nightmares caused in adults are typically spontaneous. Several things, including some underlying disorders, can even cause them.
- Some individuals experience nightmares after they have snacks late at night. Eating snacks at late night increases the metabolism rate and sends a signal to the brain, telling it to be awake and active.
- Several medicines can also contribute to nightmares in adults. The medications such as narcotics and anti-depressants are typically related to nightmares. Medications related to blood pressure may also be the reason for nightmares in adults.
- Sleep deprivation might also contribute to adult nightmares. There are also a variety of psychological reasons that can cause nightmares in adults, such as anxiety and depression. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) conjointly causes individuals to expertise chronic, repeated nightmares.
- Folks that have relatives with nightmare disorder could also be a lot more prone to experiencing nightmares themselves.
Nightmares night-time fears are very commonly seen in children, particularly throughout the kindergarten and preschool years. However, they can positively occur in older kids and adolescents, likewise.
- Nightmares are a part of traditional development, as children’s imaginations develop and youngsters begin to know that there are things that exist which will hurt them.
- There are times that fears and nightmares are the results of a daunting experience. This can range from being frightened by an outsized dog to being in a very massive state of visualizing an automobile accident to looking at something in the news. But there are times when they suddenly seem to appear out of nowhere.
- Family conflict and parental anxiety also can play a massive role. Something that provokes a baby to show a lot of emotions makes them anxious and makes their fears worse.
What Else Can You Do To Avoid Nightmares
Now that we have discussed his essential oils can help you keep nightmares at bay along with their recipes here are some more things that you can do to avoid nightmares.
Rest And Sleep Better
This tip sounds crazy when all you want to do is sleep but you can’t. When you are prone to nightmares, try not to sleep on your back instead chose side positions. Sleeping on your back has been seen to encourage the appearance of dreams more frequently. Also, try to keep your bedroom and bed clean and comfortable so that you can sleep more efficiently and comfortably.
Watch Your Diet And Timing
Watching what you eat and drink throughout the day is very important. Eating dinner to close to the bedtime only feeds your nightmares. Also avoid caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee, or soft drinks in the evening as they will only add to the problem. Also, avoid eating cheese during the night as it has been seen as an addition to the appearance of nightmares.
Don’t Watch Anything Scary Before Sleep
Viewing or reading anything scary before sleep allows the brain to process all the evil and bloody scenes, even if you are asleep. Doing this will only feed your nightmares and will enable them to be grosser than what you read. So, watch or read something calm or serene to calm your brain and allow it to imagine good things.
De-stress And Relax
Being tired and exhausted can lead to a nightmare. Therefore it is advised to keep your stress out of your bedroom and be all relaxed when you go to sleep. If you had a long tiring day then having a walk or a hit bath before sleep can really help to calm your nervous system and will help you relax. Also, keep a routine and sleep daily at the same. It will allow your body to get into a latter and will help you sleep well even if you are tired.
Keep Something That Smells Nice
Apart from essential oils keep something in your bedroom, which smells lovely. Once flowers or room freshener or even diffuser with subtle flavors can also calm your senses and will help you sleep better. Keep it next to the table where you sleep for getting the optimum benefits. Even scented candles come to your rescue.
Don’t Avoid Your Problems
If you are a victim of nightmares, then it is best to talk about the various, memories or dreams to a counselor, friend, or partner. Talking about your problem will help you relax and will allow you to feel light and fresh. Mentioning your problem to someone else will also allow them to asses your situation and also provides some help and support if needed.
Nightmares are quite normal once in a while, but what is not normal is night terrors occurring more frequently and when they are recurrent. Using essential oils for night terrors along with all other tips, can help to provide you with relief and eventually prevent nightmares or night terrors from occurring.