Ear piercing is a basic procedure of making holes in the lobes or edges of people’s ears, which then allows them to wear earrings.
Ear piercings are commonly spotted on women and girls across the globe, and they are traditionally accustomed to it.
However, ear piercings for men are more of a modern fashion trend or craze, just like tattoos. But surprisingly, ear piercings for men has always been prevalent as a part of certain ancient traditions and cultures.
Benefits of Ear Piercing
- Karna Veda is an ear-piercing ceremony, which has been an ancient practice in India and is usually conducted to facilitate the wearing of ear ornaments.
- According to Ayurveda, the ear piercing is also said to improve reproductive health, brain health as well as the flow of energy.
- Ayurveda also advocates that it prevents diseases like a hernia.
- Acupuncture and Auriculotherapy (ear acupuncture) suggests ear piercing as beneficial for reducing migraines, muscle relaxation, stress release, better eyesight, and many other healing benefits.
Different Ear Piercing Styles for Men
When it comes to ear piercing styles, men and women think a little differently. In this article, we have put together some popular and trending ear piercing styles for men to try.
- Lobe piercing – It is one of the most common and safest styles of the piercing for men. Since the ear lobe is a soft, fleshy area and has no bone, the piercing is not that hurtful. Men can usually get either only one lobe of the ear pierced or both. It takes about 4-6 weeks to heal.
- Helix piercing – The upper cartilage of the ear is pierced. Most common kind of accessory is a simple ring. It takes about 2 to 12 months to heal.
- Forward helix – It’s a unique but subtle style if accessorized with simple studs or rings. In this type of piercing, the root area of the upper cartilage is pierced.
- Earlobe gauging – It involves putting plugs like solid cylinders that fit the piercing in the ear lobe. It also called flesh tunnels. This style is most popular among teenagers.
- Tragus piercing – In this style, the cartilage flap of the ear is pierced. Since it is the thickest part of the ear, it is more painful and will take 8 to 16 weeks time to heal.
- Antitragus piercing – The piercing is done in the inner cartilage of the ear. It is quite similar to Tragus piercing.
- Industrial piercing – In this type of piercing two holes are made in the upper cartilage of the ear, facing each other. A long wire like earring is driven connecting both the holes. This style is also called Scaffold piercing. It’s a very unique style and it’s perfect if you want to sport the rock star look. It takes 3 to 12 months to heal.
- Daith piercing – The piercing is done through the inner most cartilage fold of the ear. This kind is piercing has some connection with the healing of migraines. It takes 8 to 16 weeks to heal.
- Orbital piercing – It is done in the lobe region of the ear and is any two piercings connected by one piece of jewelry.
- Conch piercing – It’s called so because this part of the ear resembles conch shells. There are two types mainly inner and outer. It takes 8 to 16 weeks to heal.
- Snug piercing – In this type, the piercing is done just above the anti-tragus, in the inner cartilage area part way down the outer rim of the ear. It takes 8 to 16 weeks to heal.
- Rook piercing – The piercing is done in a thick portion of cartilage between the inner and outer conch. It’s like the cousin of the snug piercing. It takes 2 to 12 months to heal.
Things to keep in mind before getting an Ear Piercing
The first step is to do your research and get the necessary information. Discover the different styles (which we’ve already covered), what suits you the best, the cost of the piercing, etc.
Next, you have to make the decision whether an Ear piercing is appropriate for you. If you’re a student or in the mainstream business, then this decision of getting your ears pierced is an important one. This is because many colleges and businesses don’t approve of such piercings.
Once you’re sure about your decision, your next step is to hunt for a good professional who could do the ear piercing for you. You also got to keep in mind that ear piercings hurt and that the pain varies for the different styles and different areas. You also need to know that ear piercings take some time to heal, again depending on the style or area of the piercing.
Left, right or both – which ear to get pierced for men?
Men can usually get either only one of the ears pierced or both. It’s totally up to you which ear do you want to get pierced.
But you should know that during the ’70s, homosexual men would indicate their sexual preference by as sporting a piercing on one ear.
In some places, piercings on the left meant that one was straight and piercing on the left meant that one was gay. However, this is not to scare you or stop you from getting your ear pierced. In fact, it is a long past trend that most people have no even hear of.
Piercing of one ear is perfectly acceptable, just as piercing both the ears.
How are Ear piercings for men done?
Most ear piercings for men in parlors usually use a needle or a piercing gun. The needle is sterilized and is for one-use only. A professional pierces the skin and then inserts a piece of jewelry into the piercing. Piercing with a needle is done in parts of the ear where there is no cartilage. This kind of piercing is usually done for babies because their ear lobes are tender and can be easily pierced with the needle.
The piercing gun involves inserting a piece of jewelry into the gun and then the gun pushes the piece of jewelry through the ear. The piercing gun is re-useable. The gun is easier and quicker than the needle.
Taking care for Ear Piercings
After-care is what matters most because the biggest health concern of the ear piercing is immediately after it is done. Pierced ears can develop bacteria and fungal growth. Hence, it’s necessary to keep the piercings clean.
To avoid a build-up of dirt or shampoo, one must regularly clean the piercing with a cotton bud dipped in cleansing or saline solution.
Hopefully, we have provided a huge variety of ear piercing styles for men to choose from. By sporting and trying different styles you can then find your own statement style. But one should not forget to go to a professional, about keeping the area clean and taking proper aftercare of the piercing.