Therapies that do not include any oral medication are alternative therapies. You can include yoga, massage, chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, acupressure, banana leaves therapy, to name a few, in this category. Mud Therapy is one of them!
Have you ever thought? You can even use mud for therapy? Whether you think it is weird or not, one of the alternative therapies is mud therapy. It has numerous benefits that you can’t even think of.
Mud therapy or mud bath is a science of naturopathy. Now you must be wondering how to use mud to get the benefits out of it. Don’t worry, here are the guidelines to use the mud.
Table of Contents
5 Ways You Can Do Mud Therapy
Purified mud can be used for bathing, sleeping, walking barefoot in the mud and mud massage, etc. You can use mud in five ways:
- Mud Mask: Previously cleansed mud should be kept in the thin muslin cloth to convert it into a thin flat brick. Apply the same to the body as a mud pack. You can do it for 20-30 minutes. You can use the mud pack on body parts like the abdomen, forehead, eyes, back and spine region, feet, and even the anal region.
- Mud Massage– This method is straightforward as you can do the usual massage with mud. The toxins are removed out of body pores with the help of it.
- Mud Nap– if you are suffering from stress, anxiety, and insomnia, then sleeping in mud can help you to destress yourself. It will give you mental stability. Sounds like being a pig, but who cares when it comes to the healing of mental health?
- Mud Bath– You can scrub your skin with the help of mid to get rid of dry skin cells and related issues. It also improves blood circulation and helps for cell regeneration. You need to apply the special kind of mud rich in natural salts and minerals over the entire body except for the head. Skin diseases like Psoriasis, Urticaria, leukoderma can be cured using this. It shows an amazing effect on Chickenpox and smallpox.
Mud is prepared by soaking it in water for a mud bath. It is then applied to the full body either in a sitting or lying down position. You should keep it for 45 to 60 minutes, which includes intermittent exposure to the sun. Afterward, wash it off with cold or lukewarm water.
- Mud Walk– Walking barefoot in mud sounds like fun to some people, and some people may find it disgusting. But people are doing this for ages, and surprisingly, it is perfect for the proper functioning of the kidneys. It is also good for the eyes.
Types of Muds used in this Therapy
Mud is found in different regions and different forms. You can use the following clays for mud pack formation.
Black mud: The black mud is rich in minerals and has a greasy texture. While collecting this mud, make sure it is free of pollution.
Mud from the Dead Sea: This mud has more than 20 kinds of salts and minerals, including Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium Bromide, Silicates, Natural Tar, and organic elements. All of these are beneficial for healing purposes.
Moor Mud: Moor mud is produced over thousands of years from the organic residue of flowers, grasses, and herbs. It is full of fulvic acids, vitamins, amino acids, plant hormones, humic acids in a form that the human body could easily absorb. The mud has impressive properties that help detoxify, heal, beautify, and nourish the human body. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects. It is also useful in conditions such as Arthritis and recovery from injury in sports.
9 Unique Mud Therapy Benefits
As mentioned above, mud has numerous health advantages without any side effects. Some general benefits are discussed below. Have a look and see if you can use the mud pack for any of your difficulties.
- Acne and Pimples– You can use mud type like ‘fuller’s earth (cleansed) to naturally get rid of acne and pimples. Various allergies and dermatitis can be treated using mud. It is said that Cleopatra, the Egyptian queen, used mud for her face and to pamper her skin. If the great queen could do it, why can’t you?
- Digestive Aid– Do you face some indigestion issues? If yes, a mud pack will help you to improve digestion. All you need to do is apply the mud pack on the lower abdomen, decreasing intestinal heat. If you have a gas problem or stomach ache, then put the mud pack on your belly.
- Constipation– Mudpack also treats abnormal bowel motions.
- Diarrhea and Vomiting– In the case of loose motions, mud therapy can help quite effectively. You must be surprised to know this, but it is true. In case of vomiting, apply the mud pack on the chest.
The size of a mud pack used for the abdomen is usually 10 in X 6 in X 1 in for adults. You should apply it for almost 20-30 minutes. If you apply this mud pack during cold weather, cover your body and the mud pack with a blanket because it may cause cold.
- Eye Sicknesses– Mud is useful for eye muscle relaxation. It is said that it also helps in vision enhancement. Eye maladies like sty and conjunctivitis can be cured using the same. All this is possible because of the toxin-removing property of the mud.
The half-inch-thick layer of mud is used for the eyes. It should have a size to cover your eyes completely. Place this mud pack on your eyes for 30 minutes. T is very useful for those who sit in front of the computer for many hours. It reduces irritation, itching, or allergic conditions related to the eyes.
- Cures eczema- The application of mud can reduce skin Diseases like eczema because of its antitoxic and cooling properties. Scrubbing the skin with mud instead of soap can be useful in this situation. It will also help in removing scars, blemishes, and spots. Mud shows an anti-aging effect because it improves the blood circulation in the facial area and helps skin tissues to regenerate.
You can use fine mud and cold water to make a mud pack for the face. Apply this on your face and leave it for 30 minutes. Then wash your face with cold water. This will also help to lighten the complexion and dark circles.
- Headache– In this hectic schedule, people often face so much stress and anxiety, leading to headaches. Mudpack is useful on this too. Put the mud pack on your forehead, and you will feel better.
- Fever– Because of its cooling property, You can apply mud packs onto the abdomen and forehead to get rid of fever. (at least up to some extent)
- Stress relief –Due to the cooling and soothing effect of mud, it helps you get relief from stress, nervousness, and anxiety.
Out of the five constituent elements of this universe, Earth/soil/mud plays an essential role in our wellbeing. Mud treatment shows many positive effects on human health like toxin removal, soothing, and cooling.
Mud therapy is a simple yet effective treatment. Always remember to use clean and purified mud for better results. There should be no contamination of stone pieces or chemical manures etc., in the mud.
Despite the therapeutic properties of mud, which are very useful in maintaining good health and glowing skin, mask applications’ over-use may lead to excessive drying of the skin. Therefore, it is essential to keep the pack moistened to avoid excessive dryness and stretching. Also, You must carefully choose the mud for obtaining desired results, and you must ensure its quality to prevent any complications.